What Are The Best CrossFit Training Supplements To Buy in 2017
Background Information on CrossFit Training
CrossFit is a high-intensity fitness program made up of different sports and types of exercise ranging from aerobic exercise, body weight exercise.
It consists of a branded fitness regimen founded by Greg Glassman and Lauren Jenail in the year 2000.It is promoted both as a physical exercise and as a competitive fitness sport. CrossFit workouts incorporate elements from high-intensity interval training, plyometric, weightlifting, Olympic, powerlifting, gymnastics, girevoy sport, calisthenics, strongman and other exercises.
Staying fit and healthy requires certain dedication and commitment. That is, it requires more time and effort than the normal. Obviously, there are people who are dedicated to health and wellbeing, committed to keeping their bodies in prime condition. Once you are committed to acquire a certain goal in fitness, you can also improve the efficiency of your efforts and boost your health.
CrossFit is a challenging, high intensity training that leaves most fitness enthusiasts excited. Not only did it create a stir in the USA but also the entire world. It has greatly changed people on how they view training. Its success is mainly based on exercises which utilize total body workout.
CrossFit requires proficiency across a wide range of modalities: strength, endurance, flexibility, mobility and certain CrossFit specific skills. It has received more criticism over the years because of its culture and principles (particularly high repetition power and Olympic weightlifting) and has sparked many debates among fitness enthusiasts and professionals. Regardless of that they still gain a lot of popularity of weightlifting and have helped many get into shape.
Criticism about CrossFit Training
The injury risk associated with CrossFit training has been controversial question. Critics have accused it of using dangerous movements, inappropriate levels of intensity and allowing under-qualified individuals to become CrossFit trainers. In response to this, CrossFit claims its relatively safe even when performed using a poor technique. It has also supported the position of their trainers citing three academic levels on injury.
The relationship between CrossFit and exertional rhabdomyolysis has been a subject of controversy. Critics argue that both the CrossFit methodology and the environment put the athletes at a high risk for developing rhabdomyolysis.
Best supplements for CrossFit training
Supplements are there to augment your overall nutrition. These recommendations assume that you are within reasonable weight range for your height and you pay attention to what you eat and how much sleep you get. Before getting any of this supplements ensure you work on getting a good night sleep and make sure your diet is reasonably healthy.
How were the supplements for CrossFit selected?
The following criteria was followed to come with an all -round supplement;
· Can it help improve at least one area within CrossFit WODs (endurance, strength, power and recovery)?
· Do these supplements for CrossFit have scientific research to support the purported benefits?
· Is it shown to be safe for healthy men and women to use?
· Is the serving amount shown to be effective in scientific research?
· Does the supplement receive positive reviews from users?
· Is it convenient to take regularly?
Why CrossFit athletes and trainees need supplementation
In CrossFit training, there are more vigorous physical training than any other average person, there is burning of calories. This is why these supplements may be necessary
· CrossFit is Intense-It leads to consumption of a lot of calories and other nutrients. For more energy requirement, and recovering after the exercises, nutrients like glucose and proteins are needed. However, all these nutrients cannot be enough from a single diet thus needs pre-workout supplements.
· The athletes sweat a lot-vigorous exercises causes a lot of sweating in athletes to be precise. Although sweating is considered as healthy, it results in a loss of nutrients such as mineral salts which in the long run may cause nutrient deficiency and health conditions like osteoporosis.
· CrossFit needs a lot of Strength-CrossFit exercises are relatively difficult. They are all about pushing one’s body to the limit. These exercises require a lot of Strength and thus it’s important for an athlete to take something to make them strong.
· CrossFit athletes are prone to Injury-CrossFit is both enjoyable and healthy. However, it consists of exercises that can cause a lot of wear and tear on the body. Fortunately, there are supplements made to cater for these problems as they strengthen the muscles, bones and joints to minimize injury chances.
The following are the best CrossFit supplements. Each of the m holds up to rigorous scientific research and has been also tested in the trenches, some reviewers and fitness professionals. They are;
This supplement is generated within the body from amino acids. It’s mostly found in the muscles. You can also take creatine through the natural sources in foods like red meat and fish. It is naturally synthesized in the body and it plays an important role in energy production. It is a commonly used and safest supplement extremely used by CrossFit enthusiasts due to its significant performance-boosting effects.
Benefits of creatine
The benefits include the following:
· Gives you energy
· Improves performance as it enables fast muscular recovery between sets of intense exercise
· Improves short term muscle endurance
· Improves body composition
· Helps you look and feel better by increasing muscular force and power
· Reduces injury and fatigue potentials
· Increases protein synthesis
· Helps you lift more weight
How creatine works
At the onset of intense exercise, your body relies on creatine, to produce energy. When you supplement with creatine, you actually increase the amount of phosphocreatine your muscles store, allowing quicker regeneration of adenosine triphosphate, which is the body’s source of energy. This is important for any activity that requires rapid energy source during high intensity explosive exercise. Also, it works by allowing more water, protein and nutrients into the muscle tissue as well as the production of ATP which increases temporarily increases the amount of weight you can lift.
Advantages of creatine
· It contains pure creatine monohydrate which supports muscular endurance and fueling. Thus the product is clean and pure.
· It is safe for everyone even to those with intolerances or dietary preferences as it is soy, gluten and dairy free
Disadvantages of creatine
Though creatine is a safe supplement, it also has some few effects. The most common being:
· Bloating/ weight gain. Since creatine makes your muscles absorb and hold more water for effective performance it can also mean weight gain though it’s purely water weight and it can go away when you stop taking creatine.
· It is also important to drink a lot of water when on the supplement because it can cause dehydration.
Before you purchase a creatine supplement consider the following:
Quality-Ensure it is clean and pure by containing creatine monohydrate
Micronized-Ensure they are purely ground into finer powder for easier absorption.
2. Multivitamin and minerals
Multivitamins are staples of medicine cabinets and health store shelves. They are the commonly used form of supplements among athletes as they ensure that you receive adequate nutrients and vitamins in your daily diet. However, they are not replacements for a healthy balanced diet, they can help fill gaps in your nutritional value.
Always ensure to follow the dosage for the daily intake.
How to take multivitamin
They are the easiest to take as one is supposed to follow the dosage instructions on the bottle. It is important to note that they are to be taken with food.
Benefits of multivitamins
· Reduces the risk of nutrient deficiencies
· Supports the strength of bones and teeth
· Reduces risk of injury
· Supports immune health
· Replaces depleted nutrients
· Supports good energy levels
Advantages of multivitamins
· Corrects basis deficiencies like skipped meals, stress and abnormal occurrences
· It acts as an insurance for nutrients and vitamins.
Disadvantages of multivitamins
Though there are no severe cases of side effects reported, they are said to cause the following:
· upset stomach
· unpleasant taste in the mouth
· There are other potential interactions with other medications
3. Pre/ Post workout supplements
They are designed to be taken before and after the workouts. They are developed with rapid and complete recovery in mind. They contain a blend of different unique supplements, nutrients and proteins to provide optimal effects. They are also good for CrossFit because they help the cross fitters improve their performance during and after those intense workout sessions.
Pre workout supplements are designed to boost the performance in a number of ways. They aim to provide you with energy (often using caffeine), Strength (using creatine and more) and endurance (using BCAAs, carnitine). These ingredients are put together to produce optimal results.
Post workout supplements are made in a way to help your body recover after exercising. They typically contain a variety of ingredients that work synergistically to help repair your damaged muscles and increase muscle growth.
How pre/post workout supplements work
Post workout supplements-During intense exercise, your body and muscles are put under intense pressure. After your workouts you need to rest, recuperate and recover. You also need to replenish your body with various nutrients like protein and amino acids to kick start recovery.
Pre- workout Supplements-They are developed to boost the performance at the gym taken about 30 minutes before the exercise to allow the supplement digest and begin taking effect.
Benefits of Pre/post workout supplements
· Helps speed recovery time
· Increases muscle growth
· Aids in protein synthesis
· Helps repair damaged muscle tissue
· Replenishes lost nutrients
· Improved focus and motivation
· Helps give you an edge over the competition –and your own personal bests.
· Improves athletic performance.
Advantages of Pre/post workout supplements
· Combines many useful ingredients in one.
· They come in different flavors thus a variety to choose from.
Disadvantages of pre/post workout supplements
They are the best supplements but they cause the following side effects
· Jitters, anxiety and trouble in sleeping due to relatively high amounts of caffeine
· Nausea/stomach upset, bloating.
· You should read the dosage instructions carefully to avoid using more than recommended to avoid side effects.
4. Fish oil/Omega 3
Most joint health supplements have little to no scientific evidence for effectiveness and that side of the supplement industry tends to operate on anecdotal evidence. Fish is one of the supplements that has correlated with correcting problems of inflammation and joint pain
The potential health benefits of fish oil and in particular, omega 3 are endless. Essential fatty acids, namely EPA and DHA found in the oil are vital. Research suggests that adding fish oil to an exercise regime in combination with a healthy diet can decrease body fat. Fish oils also help your muscles recover from the strenuous workouts. It has been proven that these oils can help increase the oxygen efficiency within the muscles thus reduce fatigue.
Benefits of fish oil:
· Reduces exercise-induced muscle damage
· Reduces muscle soreness
· Supports healthy skin and hair
· Increases protein synthesis
· Supports the immune system
· Improves athletic performance
· Helps to reduce inflammation
· Helps in brain health
Advantages of fish/omega 3 oils
· The supplement is made carefully to remove impurities and toxins thus safe for use.
· They come in lemon flavor thus no fishy taste.
· The supplement is tested properly to ensure quality
· They come in large capsules which may be a problem swallowing
· It can make one breath smell like fish
Be careful about the type of fish oils that you choose because they are all not the same. Also ensure it undergoes purification.
These are branch chained amino acids. They are categorized as amino acids which consists of leucine, isoleucine and valine. These supplements are favorite in the fitness community because they help improve the quality of your workouts.
Leucine helps to regulate protein metabolism by promoting protein synthesis and suppressing protin breakdown. It also helps improve the recovery of muscles damaged during training. You may also feel less sore if you take it before workout.
BCAAs supplements are good because they offer a variety of important benefits. They are useful before, during and after workout sessions making them a unique and versatile addition to any supplement stack.
The role of this supplement is to keep your body in anabolic state during intense training and prevent the catabolic signaling that occurs under fatigue. They also keep protein synthesis in muscle bellies during and after training.
What to look for when purchasing BCAAs?
Ingredients-Ensure to confirm the ingredients on the label and make sure it has leucine, isoleucine and valine.
Type-Since they come in powder or pill form, it’s better for one to choose the one they are comfortable with
Benefits of BCAAs
· Helps you build more muscle
· Delays fatigue during your workout
· Replenish lost stores of amino acids, which are diminished during exercise
· Increases strength
· Reduces muscle soreness post-workout
· It has a good taste
· Leaves you hydrated all the time
Though, there are no side effects reported. The new users reported the following;
· Fatigue and loss of coordination
It is an amino acid that is very in the fitness community. It’s used for a wide variety of reasons like ability to increase muscle mass, stimulate fat burning and its role in energy metabolism. It’s naturally synthesized in the body but it is also in supplement form. It is also found in foods like milk and red meat
It comes in pill/capsule form but also in powder form. It is usually combined with other ingredients to create a powerful workout blend. It should also be taken with food
Benefits of L-Carnitine
· Aids in weight loss
· Supports healthy bones
· Improves athletic performance
· Increases muscle energy
· Helps reduce injury
It is a natural supplement thus little or no negative effects.
Magnesium is a mineral known for energy production, immune earth heart health and circulatory health. It is involved in a number of processes in the body. For cross fitters, magnesium is important mainly for its energy production role.
Benefits of magnesium
· Helps to regulate energy production
· Improves sleep quality
· Reduces inflammation
· Prevents magnesium deficiency
· Helps strengthen bones and joints
· Improves heart health
· Reduces blood pressure
Magnesium is important for everyone. Its deficiency causes a lot of problems ranging from fatigue to migraine and headaches. This supplement should be taken with food to helping absorption and reduce the risk of stomach upsets.
There is no added soy and GMO thus it’s a pure product
They include the following:
· stomach upsets.
8. Protein powder
Drinking protein shake everyday ensures that we are providing our muscles with building blocks it needs to repair and build new muscle post-workout. Though they may not be the best compared to the one from real food it is best to supplement the diet. Protein powder is categorized into three protein supplements namely; whey, casein and MRM veggie protein.
Whey protein powder
Whey protein is a very popular and best supplement used by the cross Fitters and athletes as it is a source of protein which helps boost strength and improve performance and recovery.
Whey protein supplement is typically used immediately after working out, as a recovery strategy. It does an incredible job of supplying your muscles with the nutrients and amino acids that are required for recovery. It digests quickly working right away thus meets the required protein intake needs.
Casein protein powder
Casein protein is like whey but it digests slower. It is found in dairy products like milk and cheese. Since it is digested slowly, it is the best protein powder to take as it allows one stay full for a longer period. This also gives your muscles a steady infusion of amino s between meals.
Casein supplements are rich in amino acid glutamine which helps to keep our digestive and immune system strong.It also helps your body to recover post-workout and reduce sugar cravings.
When combined, whey and casein proteins work together, creating a time released source of amino acids that will keep you full and help build your body.
MRM Protein powder
This is the best vegan/vegetarian protein powder. It combines several proteins from a variety of plants along with other added nutrients in helpful amounts so that you can build muscle without eating meat.
The protein in this shake comes from yellow pea protein isolate, brown rice, hemp, chia and flax seed. Combined they form an easily digested source of all amino acids your body needs. Added digestive enzymes ensures your body has the materials it needs to utilize the amino acids it gets from every shake. This product is the best for people who are allergic to ingredients of animal protein and dairy.
Benefits of protein powder
· Helps reduce muscle fatigue
· Appetite suppressant as it helps one feel full-useful for dieting
· Helps speed recovery time
· Helps keep the digestive and immune system strong
· Protects the muscle
· It’s an affordable and easy way to increase protein intake
· It is easily absorbed in the blood
· It comes in different flavors thus one needs not worry of taste
· The products are safe as they don’t contain harmful nutrients like steroids.
· No added artificial colors or preservatives
Typically, there are not so many negative effects following the use of this supplement. The few reported effects include;
· Gastrointestinal issues like bloating, gas and nausea.
9. Glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate
Sore and achy joints happen to many of us even when we are careful. While the pain is annoying and hurting, the real problem is that it does not go away. Even after taking Tylenol, the pain still remains as it masks the pain only for a shorter period. What you need is a nutritional supplement that will help you significantly reduce or possibly completely clear your joint pain permanently.
Why this supplement
Simply because it works. Research studies shows that it is effective at reducing joint pain. When taken regularly, glucosamine can help your body repair and rebuild damaged cartilage. They are also safe for both men and women. There is data showing there is no adverse side effects even after long use. Since its main ingredient is shellfish, you may have to avoid it if you are allergic to similar foods. Always talk to the doctor before taking a supplement.
Benefits of Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement
· Glucosamine sulfate decreases pain and inflammation and repairs damaged cartilage
· Chondroitin reduces joint pain and swelling
· MSM grows new cartilage and soothes inflamed tissues
· Hyaluronic acids help your joints stay lubricated so they move easily and absorb shock better.
10. Beta alanine
Beta alanine is one of the best products that helps in hard and longer training. Research shows that it works by increasing the amount of time it takes for your muscles to become fatigued during an intense workout. It can also help one build more muscle, get stronger and even lose fat.
How beta alanine works
As you start exercising, your muscles build up lactic acid which in terms leads to muscle soreness and fatigue. Beta alanine works by converting into carnosine enzyme which protects our muscles to slow down the formation of lactic acid. It is said d to work properly during strenuous exercise.
Benefits of Beta alanine
· Builds muscle mass
· Improves muscle endurance
· Increases exercise capacity.
· Increases energy
What to look for in Beta alanine?
Quality-When purchasing a product, quality is the number one aspect to look for. Ensure the product comes from a reputable source.
Ingredients-Always ensure that the ingredients are of the highest quality and tested carefully
· Can be used on its own
· It has no added preservatives and colors
· It has been tested thus pure and high quality
Causes a tingling feeling in the face and hands.
Buy Crossfit Supplements in 2017